My 2014 couldn’t have begun in a better way. 2 weeks into the year and I am in Johannesburg (South Africa) for work and the everyday learning is something I am completely addicted to. Its a nice feeling to look out for new things, be inspired by a new culture, people, food, routine, etc.
Quick observations from the past 1 week –
- Nelson Mandela is like god to every native person here
- The weather is very pleasant here. (atleast around January, its very good. Maybe its due to the summers)
- There is ample day light throughout the day (between 5am – 730pm)
- Roads are very neat and all of them follow lanes here. The directions are pretty similar to Indian driving
- The currency of South Africa is Rand. And, the cost of living here is pretty decent and manageable.
- The place is so vast with a variety of options, that one can’t get bored here.
- There are all kinds of food cuisines available. But, if one is a pure vegetarian (read : no eggs included), then the options are pretty limited. Again, you could choose to cook.
- Work timings for most corporate companies are anywhere between 730am and 6pm.
As of now, I can’t wait to explore more of Joburg, especially the art and music scene here. And, I would be more than happy if any reader of this post could suggest me with some places / links I could visit / refer to.